[No.12] Are we developing this world better or this world is evolving by itself?

-reflection of Simulations p92-102
"Here we are in the third-order simulacra; no longer that of the counterfeit of an original as in the first-order, nor that of the pure series as in the second. Here are the models from which proceed all forums according to the modulation of their differences" (100).
 After I finish these two chapters of reading, I had an hour discussion with my friends about different things and opinion about the world. I realized Jean Bauderillard's book Simulations almost includes every field of issue in this world, and the whole world is being processed and comprehended in his words. Even though he was just stating his own opinion about the "fact" of the world, his logic and statement is thoughtful to think about the world in the way he assumed. Me and my friends discussed about the meaning of capitalism and communism, the beginning of the "modeling", when did we transit from 2nd simulation to the 3rd order, the power and significance of nuclear bomb, and how exactly everything actually connect to SIMULATION.

There are just too many things going through my head as I keep reading this book. The idea from the previous chapters keep coming up and continue being developed and discussed in the later chapters, some ideas that I thought I already comprehended and understood were again become confusing. What is the relationship between communism and simulation? what does theater has connection with simulation? How are the ideology being transmitted in what ways?

Bauderillard talks about so many different types of simulations in his book, and how everything eventually link together. From the chapter of The Stucco Angel, we know the first order simulation, the counterfeit, the creation of counterfeit comes from observation and understanding of the world based on experience. the counterfeit can only simulate the concept of a object on the surface level,  we see what we see but the important part, the conscious part is not being copied yet. However, in the 2nd order production and reproduction, the industrialized age, the automotive artifact that people invented supposed to be totally unprecedented, functioning inside its own operational principle. In the end, our 3rd order simulation shows that all the production still has some sort of "signifier of reference" remain in the deeper level, which mean we meet the finality of product anterior before it was even been invented all the time. The incipience of an object is no longer essential, all the meaning of a (re)production are gained from the previous generation of (re)production.

I find resonate with these chapters a lot because I also believe in materialism that everything creates me and influences me in the way that form who I am, all my invention and creation are based on the experience I have in the past. However, I still believe there is one part inside me that lead me to take the step I take, my own will is deciding whether I am producing this new thing or not. That part of the self-willingness belongs to me, not to the modeling. That is why after every revolution, the world is developing and getting "better", in stead of only changing the form and media of a tool without making it better. Or maybe, our decision making process is still a part of the experience and set-up destination, all the exterior material lead us to act and develop in certain way. We never knows.


develop what is useful or healthy and discard what is not


Vocabulary Building
Semblance appearance, counterfeit, copy
Annexe 附加物
analogy 类似
interrogation 审问
Protagonist leading man
Incarnated give the figure of human, 使人格化
Anguish 令人心酸,痛苦
Sacrilege 亵渎神圣
Impersonator actor
Jerky 动忽停的
Connote 隐含,暗示
Diabolical 残忍的
Mechanical efficacy 机械功效
Infinitesimal 极微小的 Miniaturized
Abolished abandon
Liquidation 清除
Proliferate 增殖
Sublime
Freed free过去式
Sorcerer 男巫
Apprentice 学徒
Mercantile 业的
Binding 绑,约束
Obliteration 删除
Negligently 疏忽大意
Ephemeral 朝生暮死
Primitive accumulation 原始积累
Modulation 调制
Affiliation 加入,接
Anterior 位于前部的
Manifestation 表示,显示
Genesis 创始
prestige 威望
Manifest 显示,表明
Contemporaneous 时期的


Comments

Popular Posts