[Reflection 2 - Tim Sullivan] The Connection To The World

I wake up and choose keep *DREAMING*

I woke up from a late night nap and started watching Tim Sullivan's artist talk video.  Everything goes so wrong in this specific time. Everything feels more artsy in a weird way.  I literally feel like I am still in a dream by watching Sullivan's video and what my message on social media. I will explain later in this post. In general Tim Sullivan is REALLY REALLY an amazing artist and I LOVE all his artworks. So inspirational and I am really intrigued by him using his body as one of the subjects for his photo projects.


He mentions in the talk that he likes to use whatever he finds in life to make art with it. This air tube with Tim and his roommate "floating" in the air is a very interesting composition for me. Tim says while many art rely on Photoshop now, he still enjoy the origin of image, intend to create the surreal feeling by showing a not modified picture. Which in my opinion only make his art piece more attractive. While I am watching this part of his talk, my dad shared 2 images in my family group chat, which show the illusion of photography and the coincident color matching of the subjects. 

Picture that doesn't use Photoshop, purely raw

Another picture that doesn't use Photoshop, purely raw

Do you see what's actually happening in these pics above?

I found it so interesting how the topic in my family group chat somehow relate back to Tim's talk, sometime the raw footage can be the most tricky image by itself, the delusion caused by the original quality of an image can create even more crazier perception for me. I have to mention Tim's project of the floating chair series. 

LEVITATION 1, Tim Sullivan, 2003

On this art piece above, it is clearly that two pictures have been putting together, however, the illusion still works even with the bold black line cutting through the scene in the middle. Our human brain can be deceived so easily based on how we normally understand this world. In here Tim brings out another mind-blowing idea to me, that people tend to think photo as "every corner of a photograph has to be clean and neat". In order to overturn this idea, he shows his artwork by printing out big size pictures and just pin them on the wall, which for this art piece below, the bottom side of the upper image ends of curving a little bit, but that actually creates even more texture for the piece as the concept of floating. 


The idea of imperfection of photography is appealing because it is true that when we take a picture, it's normally something from the real world, and the real world does not have any texture on top of our eyesight, we see everything as clear as it could be. However, by capturing the views into a flat 2D paper, it gives us the chance to add additional texture to the image, to draw us out from the view of real world, start adding new meaning for this new media. This is something that only art can do.I will definitely keep viewing Tim's work because he is amazing!
!!!Project Update!!!!

Man, you can't believe HOW MUCH we achieved in this reading period. It is literally the shooting period, period! We finished filming an entire MV for one of the smaller production. Spent a few hours in the woods, 2 cameras, 1 drone, few different lens and lights are our equipments. We also finished day 1 of Senior Speech's individual shooting. Our team spent 17 hours together in this break for the project, experiences are amazing!

Here are some snap of the MVs.





Shots for Danny Phantom


We also got way too many behind the scene videos going on during the shoot. It seems like this is going to be a 2 hours documentary about a bunch of friends making art, and the bonus for the film is a few 3 min long music videos lmao. Either way I am really excited overall!



Comments

  1. I enjoyed running into the action this reading period. It seems like you are putting more than the maximum amount of time into this. This artist talk reminded me that there is something magical about keeping your work free from editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ! Next time when we go out for shooting, I will let you know our plan so you can take a close look of what we are doing!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts