[No. 8] RoBoTs Lover!

"It's a machine, but it's alive!"

Every time I start talking about this, I always feel like I sounds like a nerd. I never thought there will be one day that I will get so addict to a thing and even start feeling weird about this affection. But I will still say, I love ROBOTs!! til now, I already forgot when is my first time that I see things relates to machine and robot. Maybe Wall-E really is my enlighten mentor for liking robots. Every time I see a picture of a robot, especially the armed ones, I just feel my hear some beating faster and getting so addicted to enjoy the delicate and sophisticated joint of the robot, so detailed and well connected...

Chappie (2016), Neill Blomkamp

For the visual appearance, the titanium cover with accurate design of robots just so cool and satisfying to appreciate. The exquisite transformation of elements and using of weapons just something that we won't always see in real life. Perfect rectangular shape is a good view in proportion's point of view.

For the conscious level. The type of machine which contain a whole developed AI system is not what I truly love. When robots start talking like human and thinking like human, they just become a person inside a robotic body. Like Transformer. I am not saying I don't like them, I love Bumblebee, but more for his appearance tho. The type of robot which still hold the robotic thought method, but slowly developing the human world and human way of living is what I found the most "sexy" type! Machine acting under the three laws of robotics but consciously getting new information and form the next level thought is what I am curious to dig deeper into.

Bumblebee (2018), Travis Knight

One thing about me is that I am really the CEO of "good-looks club", which means I tend to judge people by their looks, or I will start a whole imagination about that person's background story by simply observe how they look like and how they act in a short time. I guess this is also the reason why I like watching anime(enjoying the characters special looking and complicated characteristics). The same thing happen to robot. I enjoy "visible" stuffs, then get inspired and dig into the deeper level. Therefore, I don't feel satisfied enough to only enjoy what other people think about robots through media of film or illustration, I also attempt to approach the consciousness of robot by myself too! That's why I am doing this final project, a whole story about a robot's planet. 

In the past two weeks, I did some copy practice on perspective standing figure and landscape drawing. Will do more in the future and start drafting the scene for final. 


(origin reference)

(origin reference)
----------------------------------------------------------------


(origin reference)





(origin reference)

I also watched the film Chappie today! Robot is really cute and I think by observing the mechanic connection of Chappie in the film, I used my subconscious analyzed the character which helps me improved the drawing of robot.

My future plan is to rewatch Real Steel, and watch maybe I, Robot series. If you have any good robot film, please feel free to recommend me some, or we can talk about it too!



Comments

  1. This is great! The way you talk about robots reminds me a bit of how Kenneth Anger talked about his subjects love for motorbikes. Also, I think it is interesting how you distinguish between the aesthetic appearance of robots that are controlled by AI and those that are not. It is almost like the former is a rooz of some sort, trying to trick you into thinking it is humanity even when it is not, and the later is a pure and honest expression of what it means to "be" mechanical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the drawings and references! It looks like things are starting to come together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts