[No.14] There is always a meaning because there is nothing.

-Reflection of Book Simulations p115-152

Finally! We all finish the book! Thank you Johnie and Baudrillard, for broaden my horizon into another dimension in this term! There are so many things to reflect on these 9 weeks and it feels proper for me to write about some of the term reflection + Simulations p115-152 reflection in this blog post together in this post! Will have even more to write on the final project post one.

I personally found Simulations REALLY intriguing to read and I surprisingly hold so many similar opinion and idea about the world as Baudrillard mentions in his book. Before I read his book, I kinda have a sense of how I understand the meaning of my existence and the final purpose of my live, after reading Simulations, I think Baudrillard guides me to a find a clearer direction on my way to make achievement to the world in a further step!

Philosophy is everything, it involves all perspective of the world, history, humanity, art, math...Any type of form exist in this world can be comprehends in a philosophical way. Then I realized, art is extremely related to this too! I keep finding the truth of my thought, why do I like art? Why do I like film? Why do I always trying to find the solution and reason of my action? Now I somehow realized everything inside me is about perception. I believe I perceive the world in my own way, a specially and more sensitive way than the ordinary people around me. I value emotions and feelings, I got both the capacity to feel and to express the perception. This is way I am so eager to use art as the media to pass my message to the world, tell everyone how I embrace the world, or, more properly speaking, how the world embraces me?

It is interesting that philosophy readings are not theory but teach me things cooler and more thoughtful than theory. It helps activate my thinking and manipulative ability. I am not only learn to understand, but more to apply and improvise. But like Baudrillard said, I am not really improvising, i am just selecting information and reconstructing them, and thought I am making something new. So what? The process of getting there, getting know the truth which might not be there is already interesting enough for me to spend my whole life digging into.

Thank you Paul McCarthy, for inspiring me this much. This artist is so amazing that all his works can be seen in many interesting ways. I might not fully understand the satire in his work, but I can see how he enjoy the world and treat the world so specially in his own way. Painter (1995) is definitely a crazy art piece to watch, what I was thinking when I see it is that "how can I be as free as him when I am trying to pass some information to the world?" McCarthy is giving me the passion and courage to stand up and make art. Especially films. As this book is always discussing about the idea of film as a truly specially media which shows us the amalgam reality, about how everything cannot hold the same quality as long as it has been transformed into another media. Documentary is not reality show, all characters are made up to show certain personality and the story is not true but still logically true. We love watching movies, watching people with interesting characteristics hanging out and getting into different type of troubles. Even though they are all programed personality, designed plot, we still  accept the story is real and it creates certain impact on us. But the question is who decide what type of feeling is happy, what is sad, where did all these emotions come from at the first place and how are we taking them? Everything is defined simulation at the first place. Which is open to improvise but has no meaning after all.

People are all looking for answer, but not the real truth, just a simple answer on the surface in order to find the inner peace in a easy way. People are blind and choice to stay blind, because the reality is so hard to face, why not live in the sweet dream happily and stress-free. In Heni Talks, Paul McCarthy: ‘All for the Gut’, the narrator says:
 "The fact that we’re affected by the means that the potential to be affected by them exists in us already, so if we deny them, what we’re doing is we’re denying this predisposition, this sense of absurdity of things that we all kind of already know is true".
Paul McCarthy's work has this power to activate people's deeper thought by showing unpleasant image and burlesque comical costume and style, cruelly wake people up.
"but what about ugliness raised to the same height and placed in the same kind of public situation, what about being asked to look at insets forced to look at versions of ourselves that we may prefer not the think about?"
As Baudrillard says, “film no longer allows you to question. It questions you, and directly” (119). The plasticity of film is what I like about it, it is so real but fake, but still holding the real quality and element. Even though it is meaningless to create meaning of the world, I still want to make film in order to control “(‘contra-role,’ in the sense that all your answers are already inscribed in the ‘role’, on the anticipated registers of the code)” (119).

Final step is where can I take all these things to and how can I apply them, here are some works that related to Simulations which I find extremely intriguing to watch and think about which the knowledge we earn from this class.

Person of Interest (2011, Johnathan Nolan)

POI is my favorite show ever!! I am rewatching the whole series and it felt different than 5 years ago when I first watching it.  


You thought you are making decisions but you actually never make decision by yourself.

The Boys (2019)

The world only let you see what they want you to see, nothing is real, its all shows.

 p.s. Be excited for my final project!! I wrote too much here but I love y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts