Thinking is the Meaning of Living-Research Report of Socrates

For the Research Report Project, I choose to discuss about Socrates in class. At the beginning of the class, I felt a little bit surprised that the textbook we choose to read feels somehow philosophical. I don't know how to feel the power of words and how different type of conversation can influence people.

"Now the doctrine obtains, we have occasioning cause causing effects and affects occasionally recausing alter-effects" (McLuhan, 120).

Life is a circle full of contradiction. Even though it is chaos, people should keep thinking and keep questioning the truth of the world, try to find the meaning of their life. The answer might now come out soon, it might not even exist. But just keep thinking, keep looking for a better future, better understanding of the temporal.

What McLuhan mentions in his book is the power of new media is not being used in a proper way, people are getting overwhelmed and stuck in the chaos of mass information. Therefore, he quotes Socrates because he thinks people should keep a conscious mind in order to have the ability to control the new media instead of being control and lose their way in the long journey. 

In the process of preparing for presentation, I was feeling like "making" a 3D essay. I also need thesis, topic sentences to set up different parts. The more difficult thing is I need to engage the audience to let them understand what I am saying. It is such an interesting experience to have a presentation especially on the topic of philosophy. The power of communication can also be art, the entire presentation is an art piece for me that I made. Moreover, the sad thing about presentation is that it is such a "one time event", unlike essay that you see your outcome on paper. Presentation is something more about your thoughts and mind set that you are trying to express directly to the audience on the stage. 

Any type of interaction with people is intriguing for me, I will keep thinking and keep making reflection of my daily behavior and try to get meaning out from it.


Comments

Popular Posts