[Reflection 1] We Turned Found Objects Into Art!

Very happy for how my first installation work turned out with this group of amazing people in Johnie's class. Personally I have a hard time to make are without thinking through a lot of things before execute it. I always make plans, sketch, drafts before going out there and do it. This installation work gives me a chance to make art freely and think about the meaning while developing it.


I've contributed mainly four parts of the works, a collaboration with Sally’s Health Care: Wear Your Masks Series, a collaboration with Johnie’s Nothing For Sale, and the interactive piece Film ME which invites everyone to draw or stick films onto a girl’s clothes, and two pieces of Childhood Joy cartoon doodle art.  I want to specifically talk about the Nothing For Sale piece, when I was deciding to bring some boxes of the expensive products that I bought, I did not know how am I going to create meaning out of them. Until the moment I saw Johnie’s sign, everything just comes together and starts to make sense! With only the green sign, it sounds like its indicating that there is nothing you can buy, nothing is for sale. However, with the product boxes installed with a collection of iMac, iPhone and all technique products’ boxes, the sign starts to say “nothing for SALE” is like indicating that all these type of products are always expensive and there is nothing on SALE or have any good deals, they are always selling at the original prices! That is a very interesting and unexpected connections that happen naturally, and that’s the beauty of a group art project!


Our work is like some of Marcel Duchamp’s works which takes all found objects, and some trashes, then re-design them by combining, tearing them down and sticking back together, and all sorts of techniques to salvage the objects that may not be useful at all in our life into gold. By placing each separated pieces together, we are creating new connections in between the objects, turn them into a new subject.





Comments

Popular Posts