[Journal 2] Hear the Art From Your Heart

I am still quite confused in reading Barthes, I have the sense that I am getting something, but I don’t know anything. In art, there is a process of creating art, presenting art, and perceiving art. By these three parts in art, I mean the artist first need to go through the thoughts of thinking about what they try to make, or sometime just directly start making it, but either way it is the first output moment in the process of creative art. Then we get to the point of presenting art, showing the audience a music piece, or an art piece, a film or video…It has the moment of existing and transferring. Then, it is the time for the creative input of art. At this step, both the artist and the audience will get to perceive the art by receiving all the information from the piece, then make meaning out of it by different perception experience. However, Beethoven’s case is so different than how I understand art in the usual sense. Beethoven spend his time in perceiving the sense of music in his mind, knowing exactly what he is trying to create. But after he finished making his music, there is a lack of presenting and perceiving it for him because he cannot receive any input of his own work after he finish the output in step one. 


“The artist is in search of his ‘truth’ and this quest forms an order in itself, a message that can be read, in spite of the variations in its content, over all the work or, at least, who’s readability feeds on a sort of totality of the artist: his career, his loves, his ideas, his character, his words become traits of meaning” (151, Barthes).


His work is such a mystery, but this forms a more intriguing sense of perception for the general audience who receive his output. In the documentary we watched in class, the one of the musician interviewers said “when I play Beethoven’s piece, I can feel the vibration of the strings, the feeling of him playing the same score…” I found that feedback quite interesting because they are trying to resonate with Beethoven in his way of making music even though it is really hard because they don’t share the same body condition, it is hard to “close the ears” and feel how Beethoven felt. Beethoven’s special circumstance stimulates the audience to think about how perception works from a new perspective. The audience are consciously running through a simulation of the perception of Beethoven’s music with an extra scenario which is “how did he feel when he made this art when he cannot even hear his work”. I guess this new way of thinking itself is an interesting challenge that people normally don’t think about. This is intriguing how we can always get inspiration from art in a new way every day.


the best random pic i can find online about Beethoven

For my final project, The concept development progress, the visual behind the shooting scene, the emotional building for the talent are something the audience won't see. All they will see is a story that is well told with the artist's emotion coming from the melody and lyrics. What's the most interesting element, that neither our teammate nor the audience will see, but it exist, is the chemistry between the people in the team. The MV project starts with me and my friend, Daniel. Because we have been hanging out forever, our relationship and the way we interact with each other has developed by time, the connection between me and him will be invisible but influencing the style of the final project of the music video shooting. We will act based on our relationships on set, and Daniel will present a vibe that maybe slightly unconsciously influenced by the friends around. This is so interesting to me.

Final Project Progress

My team finished the majority of location scouting, finished half of the storyboarding for Senior Speech Music Video. We are planning to go to High Cliff during the reading period to film another MV with less preparation in script but still contain cool visual. (a lonely soul in the woods)

Here is the link of Liams Lullaby, Jeayahr's MV that I helped my partner Luke Le made, which was presented in Cabaret 2021. Now the single video is out on Youtube, please give me some support and watch this if you feel like it!!!! Could be consider as a teaser for my final project! (It will only get even cooler and better!!)




My Other MV Projects

Here are two other MV I made for my friends Diego and Ellie. For these two, I was the director & editor & cinematographer. People are really making amazing musics so please check it out!!!


Comments

  1. These vids are great. I talked about similar aspects of my creative process, the spectators will not know how much time it really took, or how we tried to problem solve during filming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts